Extended “Call for Applications“ for students and graduates of ALL subjects (not only English): Team XI (autumn/winter 2020/21)
This is also announced on the “English Department Bulletin Board” on StudIP. 2 places newly available!
Laos has not had any new COVID-cases for 35 days now and the schools are reopening. Flights to Vientiane are available again with Thai Airways. We would think that the borders will open again as well in the not-too distant future and will keep our volunteers/applicants up-to-date.
Students enrolled at the University of Education Karlsruhe in one of the teaching degrees (PO 2011, PO 2015, PO 2018, all subjects) as well as our graduates and alumni can apply for an internship within the project “Bi-directional tandem-learning and teaching in Laos”. The usual length of stay in the winter term is September/October to January/Feb/March/April, depending on your wishes or needs.
We mainly tandem-work in the subjects English and the sciences (chemistry, biology, physics) and maths, but German is also newly in demand.
Students who have not yet taken the classes in didactics: please apply at a later stage in your studies when you have gained more experience in and knowledge about teaching. It is also helpful to have done the ISP, but you are similarly qualified if you gained significant teaching experience in other areas, e.g. as a sports coach for children or teacher of German for refugees.
To answer your questions and help you decide on your application, we conducted an info-session on StudIP/BBB on 29 April (12 – 4 p.m.). If you want to listen to the recording, please enrol in Prof. Martin’s StudIP course “Laos Internships” (course image: Lao flag).
Call for applications (PDF): 20200410_Ausschreibung_Volontariat_Team_XI_Herbst_2020
Application form (WORD): 20200408_Bewerbungsformular_AAA_Laos_Team_XI
- Deadline for applications: 7 June 2020 (send full application to Akademisches Auslandsamt [see document above]; please also send letter of motivation and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Interviews: 10 June 2020
- Notification about acceptance: 14 June 2020
- Insights from further volunteers: final reports (“AAA Abschlussbericht”) of former volunteers
- Further details: application deadline for funding for a PROMOS internship grant is 1 June 2020 and to DAAD (“Auslandspraktikum für Lehramtsstudierende”) 2020 is 1 December 2020 https://www2.daad.de/ausland/studieren/stipendium/de/70-stipendien-finden-und-bewerben/?detail=57479967
Your PROMOS travel grant applications can be submitted later (until 1 August). They go directly to our AAA.
Our three current Lao partners cover your accommodation, VISA, and wifi. Most also provide lunches and bicycles. Everyone there helps with absolutely everything you need.
In order to cover the remaining costs (flights), you can apply for a scholarship (“PROMOS Reisekostenzuschuss” or DAAD “Lehramt.International”). For more information please contact the International Office of PHKA.
Within this project, students can also earn credit points in the Bachelor and Master programmes.
If you want internship credit, you need to
a) visit Dr Wagner in his office hour and
b) submit the necessary forms before departure.
EuLA students can also earn credit for their 20 teaching/working weeks abroad (in their 3rd, 4th, or 5th semester).
Applicants please visit Prof. Martin’s seminar “Global English(es) & Global Citizenship Education” (Monday 4:15 online in StudIP/Big Blue Button) for first orientation. Registration is open. For current news on the internships, enrol in the “Laos Internships” group in StudIP.
Places in Vientiane:
- Lao-German Technical College, Vientiane (2 places)
- Vocational Education Development Institute, Vientiane, (report by volunteer) (2 places)
- Sunshine School, Vientiane (2 places)
- National University of Laos, Vientiane (new partner) (tba: places for tandem-work in the German Department, in cooperation with Dr. Bachor-Pfeff, postponed until 2021)
Places in Savannakhet:
- Savannakhet University, Savannakhet (2 places for returnee-volunteers or experienced graduates)
- Xaysombath College, Savannakhet (new partner) (2 places, postponed until 2021)
Details about the lesser-known partners:
Private school (Vientiane) and kindergarten (village in the jungle) with focus on ecology and yoga/meditation
– 2 places as from September at the private pre-, primary and secondary Sunshine School, Vientiane, accommodation & vegetarian lunches covered – read the report of our 2 volunteers who taught there in 2016/17 and check out Sunshine school on Facebook
University of Savannakhet
PH cooperation with the SKU: the “PH KA volunteer programme” is funded by SKU and runs for 5-10 months each year (Sept-Jan, Feb-July).
Requirement for applications: Previous experience as an intern in the “Teaching English in Laos” project or otherwise professional experience, e.g. 2. Staatsexamen. They are also interested in teachers who teach English AND German, as they are planning to instal a new German Department.
Two new places available as from September 2020.
National University of Laos
Prof. Martin has long-standing contacts with NUOL , which are now extended to the German Department. Dr. Bachor-Pfeff is planning to set up a programme for German in the autumn of 2020, along with a team of volunteers, much like Prof. Martin did with Team I in 2015/2016.
Xaysombath Technical College in Savannakhet (start September 2020): 2 places (in progress) for internships (tbc).
Prof. Dr. I. Martin (English Department) & J. Friedl (International Office), with N. Bachor-Pfeff (German Department)
Karlsruhe, 27 May 2020
Photos & collage by S.M. Bilger (Team X)
Poster by F. Stober (Team VI)
New cooperation planned with Teacher Training College (TTC) in Savannakhet (start September 2021).
Important note: Interns need to register for their stay in Laos within the Elefand System (Elektronische Erfassung von Deutschen im Ausland), as requested by the German Federal Foreign Office.