Call for applications: Team IX (autumn 2019 – spring/summer 2020)
Call for applications (PDF): Ausschreibung_Volontariat_Team_IX_Herbst_2019
Application form (WORD): 20190418_Bewerbungsformular_AAA_Laos_Team_IX
- deadline for applications: 05 May 2019 (Akademisches Auslandsamt and via mail to the project leaders)
- interviews: 10 May 2019
- further details: applicants please enrol in Prof. Martin’s seminar “Global English(es): Teaching English in Asia” (details underneath)
- Q&A info session: 29 April in “Global English(es)” seminar (4:15-5:45 in 3.311); returnee-volunteers groups, 2 Lao teachers and Prof. Martin report about living and working in Laos and await your questions
Students enrolled at the University of Education Karlsruhe in one of the teaching degrees (PO 2011, PO 2015, PO 2018, all subjects) as well as our graduates and alumni can apply for an internship within the project “Teaching English in Laos”.
Within this project, students can also earn credit points in the Bachelor and Master programmes. If you want internship credit, you need to a) visit Dr Wagner in his office hour and b) submit the necessary forms before departure. EuLA students can also earn credit for their 20 teaching/working weeks abroad (in their 3rd, 4th, or 5th semester). Bachelor and Master theses can be written within this project.
- Lao-German Technical College, Vientiane: Description_LGTC
Seminar “Global English(es): Teaching English in Asia” (Prof. Martin):
- Summer semester 2019 (April – July 2019), Monday 4-6 p.m. (3.311)
- Please note: Participation in this seminar is also relevant for students who wish to apply for the spring of 2020. Participation is strongly recommended, but not mandatory.
Internship places for teaching English/German at Savannakhet University (SKU)
In 2018, a PH cooperation with the University of Savannakhet started, the “PH KA volunteer programme”, which is funded by SKU and runs for 5-10 months each year (Sept-Jan, Feb-July).
Requirement for applications: Previous experience as an intern in the “Teaching English in Laos” project.
The two places for 2019/20 are taken up until December 2020. Two new places are available as from December 2019 or January 2020. Please contact Prof. Martin if you are interested.
More information in the Q&A session in the “Global English(es): Teaching English in Asia” seminar (s.a.) on 29 April 2019 or in Prof. Martin’s office hour.
Important note: Interns need to register for their stay in Laos within the Elefand System (Elektronische Erfassung von Deutschen im Ausland), as requested by the German Federal Foreign Office.
PH volunteers are also welcome at other institutions of education which are not part of the AfC or SKU cooperation.
Places available for teaching English at Universities, Teacher Training Colleges, Technical Colleges and Private Schools:
1. Sunshine: Private school (Vientiane) and kindergarten (village in the jungle) with focus on ecology and yoga/meditation
– 4 places at the private pre-, primary and secondary Sunshine School, Vientiane, accommodation & vegetarian lunches covered (not the flight) – read the report of our 2 volunteers who taught there in 2016/17 and check out Sunshine school on Facebook
– 2 places at the Sunshine kindergarten in the village of Veuntaen in Xaythany District on the (Nam) Ngum River (40 km away from Vientiane), accommodation & vegetarian lunches covered (not the flight)
2. NUOL: The German Department of the National University of Laos in Vientiane and the Lao-German Friendship Society welcome volunteers for teaching German to future teachers. Accommodation would be provided (not the flight).
3. VEDI: Vocational Education Development Institute in Vientiane (cooperation-in-preparation)
4. SAV TTC: Teacher Training College in Savannakhet (cooperation-in-preparation)
19 April 2019