New places available for internships! Apply now for Team XI!
During the forced (Corona-induced) hiatus of half a year, the project partners have gained more experience in handling this new situation and the Lao Government’s regulations regarding permission to enter the country have also been set down and made known by now.
We are therefore pleased to announce that students, graduates, and alumni from all subjects from the University of Education Karlsruhe can now apply for an internship in the project “Bi-directional tandem-teaching and learning” for spring/summer 2021 (Team XI) by 15 December 2020. The stay in planned for March to May/June (min. 3 months), and there are 4 new places available in Team XI.
Our current cooperation partners are the VEDI (Vocational Education Development Institute), LGTC (Lao-German Technical College), and Sunshine School (primary and secondary) (see more information below). Please note: There is no automatic “match” between your degree and the partner institution. In fact, most of our volunteers at the LGTC were primary degree students.
We mainly tandem-work in the subject of English, but should both tandem-partners discover mutual interests in other fields (food science, physics/chemistry, maths, technics, or German, for example), this is supported and encouraged.
Prior ISP experience is an advantage, but not a necessary condition for your application if you have gained teaching expertise in other fields. EuLA students receive credit for their stay at our schools/colleges/partner-universities. Further information on the creditability of this internship for your studies can be found under Internships. For detailed information please contact Dr. Steffen Wagner of the University of Education Karlsruhe.
Download the new Call for Applications 20201117_Ausschreibung_Volontariat_Team_XI_Frühjahr_2021 and visit the Internships page of this blog, where you find the official application form of the AAA and also more detailed information about our Lao partner schools/colleges/universities.
All documents can also be found on StudIP in the “English Department Bulletin Board”, in the StudIP section of the International Office (AAA), and the homepage of the AAA.
- Deadline for applications: 15 December 2020
- Interviews: 18 December 2020 (in 3.222, Prof. Martin’s office, or online)
- Notification about acceptance: before Xmas 2020
- Insights from further volunteers: final reports (“AAA Abschlussbericht”) of former volunteers
- Further details: contact Ms Julia Friedl at the International Office for advice regarding applications for funding for flights (PROMOS, PH-Reisekostenzuschuss, or DAAD) – the partner institutions will cover the other expenses (accommodation, lunch, WIFI, bicycle) and assist you with anything else you might need
How to apply
- Address your applications to the International Office of the PH Karlsruhe (Akademisches Auslandsamt).
- Send your letter of motivation and CV to the project leader Prof. Dr. Isabel Martin (email@example.com).
- Prepare for your interview by reading blog posts about our partner institutions (use the search window on this blog) and by talking to returnees.
Places in Vientiane:
- Lao-German Technical College, Vientiane (2 places)
- Vocational Education Development Institute, Vientiane, (report by volunteer) (1 place)
- Sunshine School, Vientiane (1 place)
Bachelor and Master theses and also M4/5 and ERP papers can be written within this project. Your research results and papers are published in an edited version in the “Language Education and Global Citizenship” series.
Information and preparation
If you are not a student at the PH but want to enrol, please send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org). External applications (from other universities) are considered for any remaining free places. We have had six external students in this project so far.
Successful applicants visit Prof. Martin’s online seminar “Global English(es), Global TEFL & Global Citizenship Education” (Tuesday 12:00 in StudIP/BBB) or watch the recordings for ongoing orientation on teaching internationally and interculturally. Registration is open.
You can also visit the (English) pages of the German Embassy in Vientiane, the Vientiane Times, or the Laotian Times. We will always keep our volunteers/applicants posted re. the current and news.
We look forward to your applications!
Prof. Dr. I. Martin & J. Friedl
Photos & collage by M. Bilger
Poster by F. Stober